Currently, around 13 million people in the Congo are starving. In addition, the everyday lives of many families are shaped by violence and being on the run. Help offers emergency relief and provides those affected with seeding material in order to ensure long-term nutrition.
Support Help in the Congo – Donate now!
They lost everything on the run
For over 20 years, the population of the Democratic Republic of the Congo has been suffering from a complex crisis. The eastern part of the country in particular is marked by armed conflicts, mainly due to ethnic conflicts as well as foreign interventions. These conflicts have been responsible for the violent displacement of numerous people. Currently, there are 4.5 million internally displaced people; another 800.000 have fled to neighbouring countries. Constant companions on the run are hunger, despair and fear.
The South-Kivu region is particularly affected by refugee movements: Around 800.000 refugees live there. Many of them have fled into nearby woods and had to leave all their belongings behind. Entire villages have been looted and destroyed, resulting in a lack of food supplies and harvests. 3.65 million people in South-Kivu do not have enough to eat.
Emergency relief for the poorest of the poor
In cooperation with our local partner UGEAFI, we mainly support refugees, returnees and the local population in the Minembwe region in South-Kivu. The situation there has been particularly problematic since March 2019, when various armed groups looted and burned down dozens of villages.
In addition to hygiene products, those affected will receive clothing and blankets in order to protect them from the cold and wet weather. Help also provides seeding material so that the people can grow their own vegetables and live self-sufficient. Moreover, the harvest offers an income opportunity for those affected, as they can sell surplus yields.
Help also distributes school materials to children so that they can go back to school. The ISOKO School in Minembwe will receive 100 new desks. The school took in over 600 refugees who, out of necessity, had to use the old desks as firewood.
Donors and partners: UGEAFI (Union des Groupes d'Etudes et d'Actions pour le Développement de Fizi et Itombwe)
- Over 13 million people in the Congo depend on humanitarian aid (07/19)
- 4.5 million people are internally displaced (07/19)
- 3.65 million out of 5.75 million in South-Kivu do not have enough to eat (07/19)
- 42% of the South-Kivu population do not have access to clean drinking water (07/19)
- In 2019 there were over 2000 cases of Ebola, the outbreak of an epidemic is very likely (07/2019)
- 700 households will receive clothes, bla+nkets and hygiene products
- 1.000 households will be provided with seeding material for vegetable cultivation (cabbage, onions, eggplants)
- 2.500 children from 10 different schools will receive new school materials
- The ISOKO School in Minembwe will be equipped with 100 new desks
Donate to Help and support people in the Congo!
- €15 will provide a family with hygiene products and a blanket.
- €25 will buy a new desk for the ISOKO School.
- €35 will pay for 1kg of seeding material.